Water and Climate
Executive Director of the Pegasys Institute
Barbara is a Director at Pegasys and the Executive Director of the Pegasys Institute. She has an MPhil in Environmental Science from the University of Cape Town (awarded with distinction). She is an experienced manager with highly developed strategic leadership and communication skills, and expertise in policy, strategy, natural resources regulation and management, public sector institutional arrangements and organizational design, public sector financing, and monitoring and evaluation. She has worked in the fields of water, energy, and climate change, and at senior management level in the public, private and NGO sectors. She has practical experience in the translation of policy and legislation into implementation, and has led several projects on organizational design and institutional arrangements. She has written extensively on issues of water governance and management, gender and poverty.
Pegasys Executive Management (2009 – date).
Barbara is currently a Board Member of the International Water Management Institute and is a Board member of the Challenge Programme on Water for Food. She is a member of the Global Water Partnership Committee, and a member of the CGIAR Aquatic Agricultural Systems Programme Oversight Panel. She is also an ex-Chairperson of the Water Research Commission of South Africa. Barbara has considerable experience in managing multi-disciplinary project teams.
Some publications include:
- Schreiner B, Chimuti S, Gouws M & Mbanda V, Towards Water Resources Regulation in South Africa Volume 1: Survey of Approaches to Water Resources Regulation Water Research Commission 2011.
- Schreiner B, Chimuti S, Gouws M & Mbanda, V: Towards Water Resources Regulation in South Africa Volume 2: Institutional Criteria, Functions and Arrangements Water Research Commission 2011.
- Mbanda V, Schreiner B & Chimuti S: Towards Water Resources Regulation in South Africa Volume 3: The use of Regulatory Impact Assessment in developing approaches and tools for pro-poor water resources regulation Water Research Commission 2011.
- Schreiner B, Mtsweni A, and Pegram G 2011: An Institutional Framework for Stakeholder Participation in Transboundary Basins. WRC Report No 1758/1/10. Water Research Commission, Pretoria.
- Schreiner and Hassan (eds) 2010: Transforming Water Management in South Africa – Designing and Implementing a New Policy Framework. Global Issues in Water Policy Series 2. Springer Dordrecht.
- Schreiner, B, Tapela,B, and van Koppen, B. 2010. “Water for agrarian reform and rural poverty eradication: where is the leak?” Overcoming structural poverty and inequality in South Africa: Towards inclusive growth and development Birchwood Hotel, Boksburg, Gauteng, 20–22 September 2010.
- Schreiner B. Pegram G C and von der Heyden C J 2009. Reality check on water resources management: Are we doing the right things in the best possible way? Development Bank of South Africa Development Planning Division Working Paper Series no 11. 2009.
- Muller et al 2009: Water security in South Africa. Development Bank of South Africa Development Planning Division Working Paper Series no 12. 2009.
- Schreiner B., Pegram G.C. and C.J. von der Heyden. 2009. Assessing African Vulnerability to Climate Change, UNEP, Nairobi.
- Schreiner B., Pegram G.C., Eaglin F.C. and C.J. von der Heyden. 2009. Opportunities and Constraints to Water Infrastructure in Africa, UNEP, Geneva.
- Eales K and Schreiner B. 2008. Balancing Investment in Infrastructure and Institutional Development: Some reflections on South Africa’s Learning. World Water Week. Stockholm. 17 August 2008.
- Schreiner B 2008. Issues of Balancing International, Environmental and Equity Needs in a Situation of Water Scarcity. Zaragoza, Spain, May 2008.
- Schreiner 2007. “The Government-and-Society Challenge in a Fledgling Democracy – Ecosystem Governance in South Africa, with a Particular Focus on the Management of the Phongola Floodplains and Reservoir.” In Governance as a Trialogue: Government-Society-Science in Transition, Turton AR, Hattingh, J, Maree GA, Roux DJ, Claasen, M, Strydom, WF (eds), Water Resources Development and Management Series, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.2007.