Constantin is Commercial Director for Pegasys, serves on the Pegasys main board and leads the firm’s transport practice. He has a doctorate (PhD) from Oxford University, which he attended as a Rhodes Scholar. Constantin has 15 years’ consulting and research experience in Africa, with particular interests in strategic, institutional and economic issues in public infrastructure, services and government arrangement for economic growth and development. He has expertise in institutional, organisational, financial and economic assessments to support institutional establishment, business planning and financial structuring, organisational design and capacitation, policy and strategy development.
Constantin has been extensively involved in the South African transport sector over the past 8 years and is recognised as one of the country’s leading transport institutional specialists. He is project leader on the comprehensive business plan, financial structuring and contract negotiations for IRPTNs in various South Africa cities, including eThekwini, Polokwane and George. Besides his work in the transport sector, Constantin has extensive experience in institutional, financial and economic work in the water sector, climate change, environment and public finance.
LEADERSHIP ROLES AND AWARDS
Pegasys Board and Executive Management (2009 – date)
Global Water Partnership Regional Technical Committee (2009 – 2014)
Desmond Tutu African Leadership Fellow (2010)
Rhodes Scholarship (1999) and Rhodes Scholarship in SA Selection Committees (2007 – 2013)
William Golding Research Fellowship, Brasenose College, Oxford University (2003)
Academic Honorary Colours, University of Pretoria (1998)
- Le Quesne T., Matthews J. and C.J. von der Heyden. 2009. Flowing Forward – Assessing Climate Change Impacts on Freshwater Ecosystems, World Bank, Washington.
- Schreiner B., Pegram G.C., Eaglin F.C. and C.J. von der Heyden. 2009. Opportunities and Constraints to Water Infrastructure in Africa, UNEP, Geneva.
- Pegram G.C., Eaglin F.C., Schreiner B. and C.J. von der Heyden. 2009. Financing the Water Sector in South Africa, OECD, Paris.
- Schreiner B., Pegram G.C. and C.J. von der Heyden. 2009. Assessing African Vulnerability to Climate Change, UNEP, Nairobi.
- Le Quesne T., Pegram G.C. and C.J. von der Heyden. 2007. Water Rights and Water Allocation – A WWF Primer. WWF-UK, Godalming, UK.
- C.J. von der Heyden, C. J. 2006. Financing Freshwater Management in South Africa. HSBC – WWF Knowledge Exchange. 7th March 2006, Chihuahua, Mexico.